User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-13 17:11:26

matteopaternolli
User

modelling elevated pipes effects

Hello,

I should model the propagation of water (coming from a breach) along a steep slope. Along the slope there are some big (3m diameter) elevated pipes: they  lean on supports, so the bottom of the pipes is about 50cm above the ground level. The pipes are not perpendicular to the main direction of the flow, but more parallel to it. I would like to model both water flowing on the ground below the bottom of the ducts, but to take also into account the obstruction caused by the pipes in case flow depth is higher than 50cm and, possibly, also the chance of water to flow partially over the top of the pipes. Is it possible to model this with Basement? How could I do? I could perhaps consider each pipe as an inner gate, but then how could I model it also as a weir, in case water reaches the top of the pipe? And, is it a problem if these inner structures are not perpendicular to the main flow direction? They should also be able to model the flow in both directions...
Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Matteo Paternolli

#2 2016-06-20 13:42:19

Lukas Vonwiller
Developer

Re: modelling elevated pipes effects

Hi Matteo

Maybe you neglect these pipes in a first run and check your flow depths and velocities.
Otherwise, I would recommend to use an Inner boundary 'hqrelation', where you define the H-Q realation by yourself.

Hope this helps!
Best, Lukas

Board footer