User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-04 14:33:02

valtre
User

Sequential coupling of two 1D domains: HYDRAULICS

Hello. I'm new to basement and I'm try to coupling two reaches of the same river. I don't understand what I've to introduce in the spaces "upstream_interface" and "downstream_interface". Have I to do a text file where I put the discharge from the upstream_domain to the downstream and put in the space "upstream_interface" the name of this file? And what I've to do for "dowmstream_interface"?
Thanks a lot.
Regards

#2 2021-05-17 09:05:42

Adnan
User

Re: Sequential coupling of two 1D domains: HYDRAULICS

hey, downstream interface and upstream interface are the names of interfaces of branches you are coupling. for example, when you are coupling two branches, the upstream interface of coupling should downstream interface of upstream channel and downstream interface of coupling would be upstream interface of downstream channel. for better understand you must see the test cases provided here

https://basement.ethz.ch/download/testc … ses28.html

#3 2023-06-02 07:36:14

Pascal
User

hi, is there an easy way to implement a hydrograph of a tributary, without splitting up the 1d Model and adding boundary conditions ? (The problem is that the results are in a lot of files instead of one by adding a lot of tributaries.)

#4 2023-06-07 08:03:40

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Hi Pascal

You can add tributaries via mass source terms to a selected cross section via the EXTERNAL_SOURCE block and type qlateral.

Example for BASEMENT version 2.8:

EXTERNAL_SOURCE {
					name          = tributary1
					type          = qlateral
					file          = hydrograph_tributary1.dat
					cross_section = 51
				}

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Matthias

#5 2023-06-07 11:12:48

Pascal
User

Dear Matthias

Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Many greetings
Pascal

#6 2023-09-06 15:51:20

Pascal
User

Dear BASEMENT Team
Once I modeled a 1D domain it with an external source (only one domain), to model a tributary and once with 2 subdomains and in between a BC: a junction respectively a confluence_wse. The results of all simulations are completely different. The only plausible solution is given by the external source. The solutions modeling with two subdomains gives a huge energy loss. Is there an explanation for that?
Thanks a lot
Pascal

Board footer