User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-06 15:28:01

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Some things about BM3

Hi!

A couple of things about BASEMENT 3.0

1. I was running a simulation on my cpu (2 cores) that suddenly crashed. I closed BASEMENT, but the BMv3_BASEplane_omp process kept running using the 2 cores I allocated for the simulation.
Not sure if it is a bug, but it might be interesting for you to know.

2. To reproduce some lab experiments I used a very low Chezy friction parameter (calibrated on lab runs). I was using 0.00175 as Chezy parameter and, while it is not possible to have such a precision in side the GUI, I was able to set it by editing the jason file, maybe you could allow a higher precision even in the GUI?

3. While on the BEDLOAD block under "Validation" I do not see any Error or Warning telling that the block DIRECTION is compulsory, if I write the setup, I get the following errors: 

-> path <SETUP/DOMAIN/BASEPLANE_2D/MORPHOLOGY/BEDLOAD/DIRECTION/IKEDA/factor> not found.
 -> path <SETUP/DOMAIN/BASEPLANE_2D/MORPHOLOGY/BEDLOAD/DIRECTION/CURVATURE/factor> not found.
 -> path <SETUP/DOMAIN/BASEPLANE_2D/MORPHOLOGY/BEDLOAD/DIRECTION/IKEDA/factor> not found.
 -> path <SETUP/DOMAIN/BASEPLANE_2D/MORPHOLOGY/BEDLOAD/DIRECTION/CURVATURE/factor> not found.

You maybe want to add a flag to the BEDLOAD validation if the DIRECTION block is missing? This applies also to IKEDA and CURVATURE blocks, i.e. if only one is set there is no error in the validation, but you get an error when you write the setup.

Cheers!

PS: I think that under "Simulation" the scrollbar should be synced with the Console Output to be always at the bottom, what do you think?
PPS: I really like this new basement, once you get it, it is really simple and straightforward!

Last edited by Matteo Facchini (2020-02-06 16:03:53)

#2 2020-02-07 11:06:15

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Re: Some things about BM3

Hi Matteo

Thank you for the valuable feedback!

1. This sounds strange. Did the simulation crash due to an error and can you reproduce this behaviour?

2. In the next release we will allow 6 decimal digits in the GUI.

3. The DIRECTION block should be generally be optional. However, if DIRECTION is activated, at least the IKEDA block becomes compulsory, but CURVATURE remains optional. In the next release, those messages will not appear anymore.

4. We will also have a look at syncing the scrollbar with the console output, but cannot make any promises.

Best regards
Matthias

#3 2020-06-10 08:45:45

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Re: Some things about BM3

Hi Matthias,

as of point 1. it happened again with one simulation I am running.

BASEMENT (GUI) threw a lot of mass balance problems but still was running. The GUI after the whole night running was not responding, so I shut it, but the process BMv3_BASEplane_cudaO.exe is still running and using the indicated amount of CPU (I am runningh GPU on multi thread CPU with 4 cores).

Maybe it is not the simulation that crashed, but just the GUI?

Cheers,
Matteo

Board footer