User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-27 15:11:42

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

Update on QGIS 2D visualization

Dear users

There has been some confusion on different QGIS versions and the usage of the Crayfish plugin for 2D result visualization lately. Here an update on the current functionalities. In principle there are two options:

1. QGIS version 2.18.x

- With an existing setup, everything should work as before
- In case of a new installation of QGIS 2.18, the Crayfish plugin won't work anymore for the latest versions of v2.18 due to compatibility issues with Visual Studio, GDAL and others.
- For further use of QGIS 2.18, please use v2.18.23 (release date 18-Aug-2018) or older, which can be installed from the
QGIS download archive

2. QGIS version 3.6.x

- v3.6.0 has been released on 24-Feb-2019 including the new functionalities of the Unstructured Mesh Layer
- Crayfish 3.1.0 is available from the plugin repository
- Almost all features including Plot, Mesh calculator, Export to raster, ...  known from v2.18 are now available in QGIS 3!

Lutra consulting is now working on the support for the new BASEMENT version 3.0 for QGIS 3.x
A summary is shown in the figure below.

FluxBB bbcode test

#2 2019-02-27 15:37:10

sajjad
User

Re: Update on QGIS 2D visualization

pl tell us when Basement 3. will be released?

#3 2019-02-28 11:32:02

JBarreiro
User
Website

Hello Stephan,

When I use "Rasterize" from water depth (defined on nodes) I get an empty raster file... Is this because this property is defined on nodes and not on elements? If so, is there any way to get raster files from the results?

Thanks

João Barreiro
Environmental Engineer (MSc) - PhD Student

#4 2019-02-28 17:50:00

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

I agree, there seems to be a problem related to the timestep selection. I opened an issue on GitHub

#5 2020-02-28 13:46:32

Marulke
User

Hi,
I use QGIS 2.18.20. When trying to install Crayfish (2.7.2) I get the following error: Library not found. Crayfish depends on a platform specific library .....  And the installation fails.

This conflicts with the table at the top of this tread saying that Crayfish will work on QGIS 2.18. 23 or older. Any suggestions?

Should I install an even older version of QGIS?

Regards

#6 2020-02-28 16:30:37

Marulke
User

Hi again,
Referring to my post above, I installed a new version of QGIS (3.10.3) and added Crayfish (3.2.1) without problems.

However, I am not able to display time dependent data (depth, velocity etc.) in QGIS. I load the mesh (*.2dm) and the triangles and bed elevation is displayed correctly.

Then I try to add temporal data (*.sol): Right click the mesh layer - Properties - Source - Assign extra dataset to mesh, and choosing *.sol files (depth). The message I get is " Data successfully loaded", but I can not access the data.

The new data is shown in the "Groups" window under Symbology, but appears to have only data for time step = 0, and can not be displayed. (The SOL files have data for several time steps.)

The Crayfish tutorial describes an older version with a different menu. Am I using the correct approach to display temporal data on the mesh, or is it a problem with the *sol files?

The QGIS manual states that DAT-format from BASEMENT is a supported format. I have also tried to generate ascii output (*.DAT) with BASEMENT, but I am unable to load it into QGIS. What software can be used to display the DAT-files?

Best regards

#7 2020-03-11 17:28:46

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Hi Marulke

Regarding QGIS 2.18.x:

There appears to be a problem with "fresh" installations of Crayfish for QGIS 2.18.x. As far as I know, the plugin still works if an older version of Crayfish is copied to the python-plugin directory of QGIS.

Regarding QGIS 3.10.x:

Adding temporal data from *.sol files should work. It tested this with the post-processing tutorial data from the BASEMENT website. Could it be that the time-formatting causes the problem as in the following issue?

Best regards
Matthias

Board footer