User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-17 19:01:11

Julius
User

Grid Generation for meandering river based on elevation points

Dear Basement community,

I have a question concerning grid generation (for 2D) based on elevation points (cross sections).
According to the manual, all corner vertices of the model bouandary and of the breaklines must lie on elevation points for creating an elevation mesh.
Is there any option or any tool to create breaklines with interpolated elevation data between two cross sections?
Because otherwise cross sections could only be connected by straight lines which does not conform to the contour of the river bed.

To illustrate my problem I attached a picture. The blue lines represent the embankment and the red points are the elevation points. According to the manual and the tutorials, the model boundary is created by connecting the exterior elevation points by straight lines. Obviously this does not represent the contour of the river bed in this case (upper picture).
Instead I need to create breaklines that connect corresponding elevation points between two cross sections
and add elevation information to every vertice of these breaklines (sketched by yellow lines in lower picture).
The model boundary should be equal to the embankment.

How can this be achieved with basemesh?

Sketch.png

Last edited by Julius (2018-09-17 19:02:02)

#2 2018-09-24 10:53:33

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

Re: Grid Generation for meandering river based on elevation points

The required workflow is not directly integrated in BASEmesh.
From personal experience with such situations, I would propose one of the following solutions:

1.Using GIS tools (either ArcGIS or QGIS) or a CAD software in order to interpolate polyline vertex elevations in between your available cross sections
2.Using HEC-RAS geometry editor in order to interpolate additional cross sections along a defined (curved) stream center line. HEC-RAS geometry file (*.g0X) can be imported using the “import mesh” function in BASEmesh.

Board footer