User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-22 16:43:28

mirco
User

insert a levee

Good morning!
It is possible insert or modelling a river levee with basemesh? If Yes, How?
I need to simulate a river flood and my DTM is not very accurate on the river edges.
Thank you so much.

#2 2015-07-24 09:28:38

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

Re: insert a levee

Hey Mirco,
there is no predefined method to model a levee, but the with thee following steps it should be possible:

If your DTM is in raster or tin format, you should first convert it to a point shp-file with the topographical information (x,y,z). Look for a plugin for QGIS or use the toolbox of ArcGIS. Create the model boundary and breaklines along the position of the river levees. Make sure that you snap the vertices of your breakline to the elevation points. Doing so, you can also manually insert additional points where you have a poor resolution of your DTM or adjust the elevation of existing point (by editing manually) in order to represent the levees accurately. Now use basemesh to triangulate an elevation mesh from the point shp-file, model boundary and defined breaklines.   
Follow the subsequent steps of the basemesh plugin (see tutorial) and use the same levee breaklines also for the quality meshing.

I hope this works, let me know if there's any problem!
Stephan

Board footer