User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-23 14:00:55

guido
User

Internal levees

Hi
I've extended the cross sections to the foreland and now i'd like to implement internal levees along the main channel (forelands should be wetted only if the waterlevel is higher than both limits of the main channel).
This is not working when the level of the foreland is below the riverbed level. In this case, there is no distinction between riverbed and foreland, e.g. the foreland is considered to be part of the river. I tried to raise the levees about 100m as well as to implenent a narrower active range at the begin of the chain. Both had no influence on this behaviour.

So, a) Did I overlook something? And b) Is there a way to check if the "internal_levees" command works as it should (kind of increased error report level)?

Regards,
guido

#2 2015-03-25 12:25:21

Lukas Vonwiller
Developer

Re: Internal levees

Hi Guido
So far I don't see any reason in the code why the 'internal_levees' approach should not work in cases where the forelands are below the main channel level.
Note that the foreland is defined as the range of 'Active range' minus the range of 'Main channel'.

In order to check the 'internal_levees' approach, you could write an output for the waterlevel (WL) and discharge (Q), and create a WL vs. Q-plot.
With internal levees you should observe a flat region, where your water level does not increase for increasing discharge (at the dyke level of the main channel).

In order to evaluate your problem, please send us your model with your topography to basement@ethz.ch.

Best regards
Lukas

#3 2015-03-25 17:17:29

guido
User

Hi Lukas

Thanks for your reply! I made WL-Q plots for various cross sections, and the model behaviour seems to be right. The foreland is flooded at a plausible water level, and therefore the internal levee seems to work. I think the problem was a wrong expectation to the fancy Baseviz-Tool, which does not show exactly the same what is acutally calculated. I'll turn it off.

If you're still interested in the model topography, just let me know.

Kind regards
guido

#4 2015-03-25 17:36:11

Lukas Vonwiller
Developer

Hi Guido, great to hear that it works now!

Like you mentioned already, I suggest that you don't use BASEviz when using the 'internal_levees' approach.

Based regards
Lukas

Board footer