User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-16 10:40:33

Joanna
User

"Generate elevation mesh" doesn't respond

Hi all,

I am trying to generate an elevation mesh for the first time. I followed the official tutorial but using my own data instead of the provided. Everything works fine until I get to the step: "Generate elevation mesh".
I press the button but nothing happens, the window stays open, no error messages. Is this a common thing? Could there be anything wrong with my data? (I made sure to have the elevation points as a shape file in the x,y,z form and the breaklines' as well as the model boundary's  vertices are snaped to elevation points.)

Thank you,
Joanna

#2 2017-02-16 14:57:38

Sam
Developer
Website

Re: "Generate elevation mesh" doesn't respond

I see two potential reasons for such a behavior:
1. TRIANGLE keeps running in the background and does not converge.
2. TRIANGLE did converge, but resulting in a too large mesh that cannot be handled efficiently by BASEmesh.

To find out the reason in your case, you can either have a look at the messages printed in the BASEmesh plugin window, or at the temporary written files by TRIANGLE.
A common origin for both cases are points that are too close to each other (but not perfectly snapped) or break lines that intersect with a small angle...?

#3 2017-02-17 14:23:23

Joanna
User

Re: "Generate elevation mesh" doesn't respond

Thank you for your answer, I did have a few double nodes, it works well now!

Board footer