User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-12 09:04:44

medrilama
User

restart_time_step and final results

Hi all,
I hope not to be OT in this section.
I have a big simulation taking a lot of time running so I set restart_time_step every 600 s in order to be able to recover the simulation in case the PC crashed (due to whatever reason).
At the end of the recovered simulation, analyzing the *els_track shapefile I noticed that the max values recorded refer to the last part of the simulation (after the last recovery), is this because I didn't understand how to correctly recover simulations or because it is the way Basement works? If the latter, wouldn't be better to consider the entire simulation instead of the last part to populate the shapefile of the max values?
Additionally, I think that if you recover a simulation at a certain time step, before the last saving (e.g. at 12'000 s while the last is 15'000 s), it would be good ignore the results between 12'000 s and 15'000 s of the first simulation, would it be possible?
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

#2 2017-05-12 09:20:21

Lukas Vonwiller
Developer

Re: restart_time_step and final results

Hi Filippo

Yes, this is how the output of Basement works.
The output concept should be simple and transparent.
In case of a restart from old simulations, you might change model parameters. Hence, these two simulations might have completely different setup!
It is much more transparent not to mix-up two different simulations.
You can still get the maximum values of both simulations in a post-processing step.

Hope this helps!
Best, Lukas

#3 2017-05-12 15:06:18

medrilama
User

Re: restart_time_step and final results

Hi Lukas,
thanks for the answer. I understand the point, if you change parameters. But if you don't (the simulation is the same), I think it would be useful, for a user, having the post-processing automatically done as if it was a non-interrupted simulation.
Thanks, regards
Filippo

Board footer