User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-10 14:13:31

Joanna
User

"Clusters" when modelling rainfall

Hi all,

I am modelling rainfall with BASEMENT as described in an earlier post:

SOURCE
{
   [...]
   EXTERNAL_SOURCE
   {
      type = source_discharge
      index = (  1 3 4 )
      file = rainfall_discharge_in_time.txt
   }
}

The simulation runs through, but the results do not make sense to me. I get one "cluster" with high velocities/depths where there isn't anything specific according to the topology of the model. The *.2dm and the bed elevation are fine.
The other problem is that a lot of cells don't seem to get any rain at all.
Can you think of something that I could have done wrong?

Thank you,
Joanna

#2 2017-03-15 17:01:17

Joanna
User

Re: "Clusters" when modelling rainfall

Hi all,

I found the error.
When exporting the mesh with the "Export mesh" function of the basemesh tool, you have to select the Material ID attribute, so that the created mesh gets the MATID information. This however does not work correctly. Instead of writing the MATID as the material index, the NODE_ID is written to the created mesh. However the rain occurs only where the NODE_ID is 1, 3 or 4 (in my example). Therefore there are elements with a lot of rain and the rest gets none.
I do not know if only I have this problem or wether it is a common bug. Maybe you can have a look.

Thank you,
Joanna

#3 2017-03-16 10:06:35

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

Re: "Clusters" when modelling rainfall

We are not aware of any problems regarding the mesh export from Qgis BASEmesh. Your "Quality_elements" Shapefile should contain the attributes ELEMENT_ID, NODE1, NODE2, NODE3, NODE4 (-1) and MATID. When exporting the mesh, make sure to select the attribute "MATID" as Material ID field from the dropdown menue.

Stephan

Board footer