User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-22 15:33:32

MarcoPereira
User

BASEMENT crashing

Hello everyone,

I am doing an assignment using BASEMENT where we have to perform a 2D flow simulation. I have created the breaklines, boundaries and regions using QGIS and the respective area DEM, as well as built the respective computational mesh. However, BASEMENT seems to crash everytime I try to run the simulation with the following error:

" -> Initializing the simulation failed: Accessing the HDF5 dataset 'EdgHydWL/set' failed.
-> ... unfortunately BASEMENT is killed!"

The model is made up of 5 regions, with the Material ID going from [0] to [4]:
0 - Riverbed; 1 - Left Bank; 2 - Right Bank; 3 - Dyke; 4 - Outback (area behind the dykes);
In the assignment they provide us with the slope (=0.02%), as well as the discharge (550 m^3/s) and three roughness coefficient values with no units (Kst=33 for riverbed, 22 for left bank and 19 for right bank);

Update: After I added the Index names to BASEMENT, as well as added an extra point to my mesh, the model now runs to the end, but the table shows up on BASEMENT after running the simulation has a lot of zeros (plan and MPI time are basically all zeros), and I can't add the results.xmdf file to the mesh in QGIS as it says "Could not read mesh data"

I can share any files necessary to see if there's something I missed or any simulation options that might be conflicting.

Thank you and kind regards,

Marco Pereira

Last edited by MarcoPereira (2024-01-22 16:02:01)

#2 2024-01-25 09:03:39

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Re: BASEMENT crashing

Hi Marco
I am not sure if I have understood entirely your problem concerning the table (?), you might put every input/output file in a .zip folder and upload it on some cloud and share the link here.
Concerning the "Could not read mesh data" error have a look here

#3 2024-01-25 17:51:07

MarcoPereira
User

Dear Mattieo,

Thank you for your response. I have 2 models for this assignment, one that contains only the main channel of a section of the river, whose simulation is working now after I edited the results.xdmf file, as well as another slightly bigger model that also contains a small biforcation channel upstream of the smaller model - for this one editing the .xdmf file still does not allow me to add it into the computational mesh in QGIS.

Here is the link for the zip file containing the computational mesh, the simulation settings and the results file:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/d046skp1 … f2mgc&dl=0

Kind regards and hope to hear from you soon,

Marco Pereira

#4 2024-02-13 11:54:45

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Hi Marco,
actually the .xdmf file you sent me is wrong, correcting the header as I wrote previously, and as it is reported here allowed me to open it in QGIS. Beside that, even without the correction to the xdmf, I could open your simulation results with paraview just fine.

Another small side-note: I think you could change you simulation.json file, to give the parameter 'out' another value. Giving 0 means that only the 'end' timestep will be registered.
I tried it, changed out to 3600 s, then I re-run the sim, modified the xdmf as mentioned before, and could open the rsults in QGIS as well.

Cheers,
Matteo

Board footer