User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-09 13:40:29

patrick
User

Different in- and outflow

Hello all,

I'm currently working on an inundation map project.
The weak point, i.e. where overlow occurs, is known (the entry of an underground section). The hydraulic capacity of that underground section is known. So I know the discharge that is going to inundate the terrain downstream.

Is there an easy solution to simulate that flooding discharge?

I thought about a parameter limiting the outflowing discharge at the entry (not modelling the underground section but only the upstream reach and the downstream terrain). Is something like that faisible? If yes how?

It would be great if I could get some input from more experienced Basement users!

Regards,
Patrick

#2 2023-08-09 13:57:18

NumericalSam
User

Re: Different in- and outflow

Hi Patrick

You could use a linked boundary condition.
Check Figure 1.1 in http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~basement/base … v3-2-0.pdf --> weir

For this you can specify a depth-discharge relation at the entry of the underground section and link it to the entry downstream.
Limitations:
1. the transfer occurs immediately, so if the underground section is long, you might create a fast-forwarding of the flood.
2. you have to find a reasonable depth-discharge relation (consider pressurized flow)

You also could simulate the underground section if the situation allows it. Could be closer to reality if not completely inundated and flow paths do not cross the underground section.

Regards, Sam

Board footer