User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-15 10:55:01

Matteo Facchini
Developer

BMv3: dynamic weir internal condition

In the scope of my job, I simulate bridge obstructions that happen at a given time.

As of now, this is my approach:

1. run a simulation to evaluate when the obstruction is happening, e.g. due to wood debries I have a reduction of the available area at 80%: when the wet area on the stringdef upstream of the bridge is 80% of the initial I consider the bridge as obstructed. Let's assume this time to be t = t*

2. run a second simulation starting at t=t* (not a restart, but a re-run) using another "model.json" file where I insert a wall internal boundary condition

By doing this, my results.h5 file will be updated by the simulation having the internal wall.

The drawbacks of this method are:

1. I am overwriting the result from t=t* to the end of the simulation, thus making it impossible to see the partial outputs, i.e. to generate progressive xdmf files to check the progress of the simulation

2. the height of the wall is infinite, thus I cannot simulate the bridge being overflown; this is precautionary which works fine for me, but it might not be ok for everyone else

My feature request would be to have the possibility of inserting an obstacle of given height at a given time. It would be ideal to have something like a dynamic weir with adjustable height in time. With such a feature I could run the first simulation and then a second one, where a weir of given height would "appear" at a given time.

Board footer