User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-10 18:53:21

Marulke
User

No erosion when using suspended transport only

Hi,
I am using BASEPLANE 2.8 for modeling sediment deposition  resulting from a river entering a reservoir.

Since most of the material is transported in suspension I started by using the suspended transport model. I did not activate bed load transport.

In general the model results shows reasonable patterns of sediment deposition.  However, there are some areas with high velocity & shear stress. In those locations there should have been scouring and considerable lowering of the river bed.

My problem is that the river bed only goes up (deposition) or remains unchanged. There is no lowering any where in the model.

Question: Is it necessary to turn on bed load transport for scouring to happen in the model?

Kind regards
Marulke

#2 2020-08-24 08:50:51

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Re: No erosion when using suspended transport only

Hi Marulke,

did you give it a try? I think that it should be enough to define a soil with a layer to allow for erosion to happen.

Cheers,
Matteo

#3 2020-10-23 10:16:42

Marulke
User

Re: No erosion when using suspended transport only

Hi,
it was my mistake. I had not defined a soil layer. When I activated a soil layer, there was also scouring,

Thanks,
Marulke

Board footer