User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-09 10:53:23

Alyssa
User

Error sediment level exceeds dike level for rectangular cross sections

Hi

When I try to create a channel with a few rectangular cross sections which have a fixed width and fixed slope, I keep getting an error that states: "sediment level exceeds lower dike level in cross section ..." When I replace them with actual measured cross sections it does work. So nothing else changed

Another user posted the same issue for a flume :
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~basement/foru … php?id=456

I followed the suggestions but it does not change. Is there some issue using rectangular cross sections, is there some minimum slope required for the banks? It seems when I do get it to work the bedload flux only goes positive in the first cross section, the other remain zero.

Thanks
Alyssa

#2 2019-12-09 11:02:54

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Re: Error sediment level exceeds dike level for rectangular cross sections

Hi Alyssa

It seems that one of the cross sections is filled up with sediment. This happens when the transport capacity is much smaller than the sediment input.

What are your initial conditions and upper boundary conditions? I suggest to do a purely hydrodynamic simulation first and use the result as the initial hydrodynamic state for the morphodynamic simulation.

Regards
Matthias

#3 2019-12-18 12:15:10

Alyssa
User

Re: Error sediment level exceeds dike level for rectangular cross sections

Hi Matthias

The only way I could solve the issue was to put a certain slope on the banks, rectangular (or with 0.00001 inclination) did not work.
Thanks

Board footer