User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-11 09:13:06

PaoloGhil
User

Installation of BASEMENT 3 under subsystems

I'm trying to install Basement 3 on a laptop (i7-8750H CPU and GeForce GTX 1050) with Windows 10 home.

In Windows, I installed the latest cuda toolbox from Nvidia ( cuda_10.1.105_418.96_win10 ), tested it under windows and everithing works.

Then, I carefully followed the procedure described in BMdoc_Intro_and_Installation_v3: "Installation of BASEMENT under Windows Subsystem for Linux", but I encountered two problems that I was not able to solve.

> 1st problem: when i try to run basement in WSL, the graphic window opens but I have also this error messages:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-paolo'
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

How can I fix this?

> 2nd problem: running the tests with ./Allrun, the benchmarks without cuda works OK, but those using cuda are not completed because of this error:

/home/BMv3/externalLibs/OP2/op2/c/src/cuda/op_cuda_rt_support.c(313) : cutilSafeCall() Runtime API error : CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version.
Runtime = s

I also tried to install the Nvidia cuda package from ubuntu, but all I had was an "unknown cuda error", so i uninstalled wsl and windows cuda package, reinstalled cuda package from windows, reinstalled wsl, reinstalled Basement 3, and came back to the error above about the driver version.... I really do not know ho to proceed.

My software versions are: geforce driver 419.67, runtime directx  12.0, cuda driver 10.1.131 .
In Windows, deviceQuery says: CUDA Driver Version / Runtime Version          10.1 / 10.1

Last edited by PaoloGhil (2019-04-11 10:50:50)

#2 2019-04-17 11:27:18

Matthias Bürgler
Developer

Re: Installation of BASEMENT 3 under subsystems

Dear PaoloGhil

First to your second question:

>> 2nd problem: running the tests with ./Allrun, the benchmarks without cuda works OK, but those using cuda are not completed because of this error:

GPU computing with BASEMENT v3 is only available for Linux systems. The problem with using your GPU under the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) for Windows10 is the missing access of your GPU from WSL. If you had access to your GPU from within the WSL, you should see the card using the command:

nvidia-smi

I assume this does not work?

Regarding your first question:

> 1st problem: when i try to run basement in WSL, the graphic window opens but I have also this error messages:
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

These problems could be related to the use of a GPU for the display output. I cannot reproduce this problem. A similar issue is treated under the following link (I have not tested this however).

https://askubuntu.com/questions/834254/ … r-failed-t

Best regards
Matthias

#3 2020-02-04 11:38:19

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Hi,

as to your second problem: the same happens to me with docker. I am trying to dig into PCI passthrough to find a solution.

The main problem is indeed the passthrough of the GPU, because you could update the driver by following these instructions (note that it suits my subsystem, maybe not yours: check at the top of the page if it fits your architecture, distribution...), but you'll still be unable to run bm3 with gpu.

I would also ask Matthias to change the name of the 3ad to something recalling the installation of BASEMENT 3 under subsystems, so the ones that are trying to follow this path will find it!

Best
Matteo

#4 2020-02-04 16:58:19

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Small update:

after reading a lot of stuff on many websites, I came to the conclusion that GPU passthrough from win to ubuntu is not possible at the moment.

Docker allows for it, but only if the host and the guest share the same os (see here or here)

The answer by Michael D in this discussion explains why it is not possible.

Thus, according to this, dual booting seems to be the only option.

Until, of course, the B-team activates the GPU beckend in the Windows version wink

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Matteo Facchini (2020-02-04 16:59:04)

Board footer