User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-29 20:41:30

michaelZ
User

Controller Block

Hello,

I try to model a dam breach. My inflow type is a "z_hydrograph" and should keep a constant water surface elevation to model the pool. It is essential that the water surface elevation at the dam remains constant at the desired value. But as the dam breaches, the water elevation is sinking to a lower level, the z_hydrograph does not provide the constant height.

So, I thought of the CONTROLLER Block to trigger the inflow boundary to provide the constant level of water upstream the dam during the whole breach prozess. I had a few attempts but I could not figure out a way.

My question is: Is this even possible? What is the common way to use the CONTROLLER Block for such issues? Or does it take other/additional steps to achieve the constant elevation?

Thanks

#2 2018-05-29 20:46:40

Sam
Developer
Website

Re: Controller Block

Where is your inflow boundary condition defined?

I guess that you include the reservoir in your computational domain as well?

#3 2018-05-30 08:35:09

michaelZ
User

Yes I include the reservoir in the computation. The dam is very small because it models a laboratory test. The dam is 0,3m high and the width is 2m. My inflow boundary is around 4m away from the heel of the dam.

#4 2018-05-30 08:48:36

Sam
Developer
Website

This sounds like the perfect application for a PID controller.

Please have a close look to the Manual how to set it up.

Board footer