User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-25 16:55:29

Rossella
User

sediment transport in a river with check dams

Hi,
I'm working on some hydraulic simulations on an alpine river with BASEment v.2.5.3 considering the transport of sediments. The river has an average slope of 6 %, but in the middle part there are some check dams which reduce slope from 6 to 3.5 %. In this part, according to a set of hydraulic simulations (set "A"),
deposits are correctly observed on check dams; what is wrong is their height, which seems to me impossible, as it reaches the value of ten meters.
Could you maybe give me some advices on which parameters could be changed in order to obtain more realistic deposits?

Thanks for helping!

Rossella

Last edited by Rossella (2016-01-25 17:44:17)

#2 2016-02-25 10:34:36

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Re: sediment transport in a river with check dams

Hi Rossella,

how high are your check dams?
The value of 10 m sounds a little bit high, but it can be a realistic value. Th deposition depends on the material your river is tranporting and with these high slopes I guess it is transporting a lot of material and if the check dams are high enough it can be that the river deposits a lot of material at their toe.

Anyway it is hard to tune the sediment transport, but maybe with some more information (d50, water discharge, check dams height,...) we can try to help you!
Are you working in 1D or 2D?

Cheers,

Matteo

Board footer