User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-14 18:03:29

LydiaSeitz
User

Restart file in Linux version

Hi there,

I started using Basement under Linux version and it seems that the Linux version cannot read *.cgns hotstart file for Baseplain. The model crushes without any error message. Starting with dry conditions works just fine. The hotstart file was created using the Linux version so I expected that it should work. Is it possible to edit the hotsart file somehow? It seems that in the first line of the hotstart file is any symbol which cause the trouble.

Does anyone of you had this problem before?

I am looking forward to get any hint smile

Cheers,
Lydia

#2 2016-01-17 10:12:33

CVolz
User

Re: Restart file in Linux version

Hi Lydia,

LydiaSeitz wrote:

I started using Basement under Linux version and it seems that the Linux version cannot read *.cgns hotstart file for Baseplain.

The .cgns hotstart file should also work under Linux. It is tested at least using Ubuntu. I have many simulations running on Ubuntu which use the *.cgns hoststart files.

The model crushes without any error message. Starting with dry conditions works just fine. The hotstart file was created using the Linux version so I expected that it should work.

Did your simulation, which created the *.cgns-file, finish successfully? If the program crashes while writing the hotstart file it may be corrupted.

Is it possible to edit the hotsart file somehow? It seems that in the first line of the hotstart file is any symbol which cause the trouble.

Well, it is a binary file and you are not supposed to edit it manually. It is written in the (old) cgns format ADF (advanced data format). Previously, in the free obtainable CGNS package an ADF viewer was included. Unfortunately, i think they do no longer support this format and switched to HDF. If you want to, you can download my compiled version of the ADV viewer (only Windows) to open your file. If you cannot open it or read the data, then it is corrupted.

https://www.droppy.ch/waY9oUd

best regards
Christian

Last edited by CVolz (2016-01-17 10:13:54)

Board footer