User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-10 18:59:04

sajjad
User

Coupling

I want to couple two 2d subdomains which are very much fit for lateral coupling but I want to experiment other ways.

1) I want to couple channel domain laterally over the edges ( channel has an upstream inlet and downstream outlet sections as well but they are not part of the coupling) with the floodplain domain. Is it possible and what coupling type shall I use ? As far as I have been able to understand the doc, 'Riemann' type is suitable. Pl. confirm or otherwise?

2) Can I model the case above by coupling_source_discharge? which coupling 'type' will it be ?

Regards

#2 2015-06-12 09:56:06

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

Re: Coupling

Hi Sajjad,

the purpose of 'coupling_lateral' is to couple a 1D river channel model (BASEchain) with a 2D floodplain model (BASEplane). It's not possible to use this type of coupling for two 2D subdomains. As you can see in the documentation of the tag 'coupling type', 'riemann' is only available for 1D BASEchain.

To me it's not really clear why you want to couple two 2D subdomains laterally. Wouldn't it be an option to merge the two domains to have one single 2D Model instead?

Best regards
Stephan

#3 2015-06-12 13:38:25

sajjad
User

Re: Coupling

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. In fact, I have one 2d model of the whole, but the discharge spilled from the channel to the floodplain for its accurate calculation require a very fine mesh at the interface. In lateral coupling, the issue is that the channel is meandering so 2d is more apt. May be in the 2d model of the whole domain, I create an inner boundary (a weir/gate) on the banks of the channel adjoining the floodplains, so that discharge calculation is done via the formulas and numerical resolution of the SV equations is avoided.

Regards

Board footer