User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-28 15:24:15

Simon Ostan Marco
User

Best computing performance with Basement

Dear colleagues,

We perform a lot of 2d simulations with Basemt, and now we are going to buy a dedicate machine for this purpose.
We have already used mesh composed by 250.000 elements, 2-3 days of simulation time.

Can someone advise me about the most suitable type of cpu (intel i-5, i-7,  xenon, amd), RAM etc... ?

Best Regards

Marco

#2 2015-06-09 10:51:04

David Vetsch
Developer

Re: Best computing performance with Basement

Dear Marco

We recommend the use of Intel based computers with i7 or xeon processors, minimum 1GB RAM per core.

Notice on usage of multi core CPUs, e.g. a machine with 2x8=16 cores: use only 15 cores maximum for computation, run 2 different cases at the same time, i.e. one on 8 cores and the other on 7 for example.

Our current infrastructure:
Server with 2x8 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v3 @ 3.20GHz, 64 GB RAM

Cheers,
David

#3 2015-06-30 10:02:53

David Vetsch
Developer

Dear David,

in regard to the thread "Best computing performance with Basement", we´re also planing on buying a new computer and I have a small additional question.
When using for example 15 cores for a simulation, do I need a single CPU with e.g. 16 cores, or can they be splitted on 2 CPUs?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Alex

#4 2015-06-30 10:04:19

David Vetsch
Developer

VENDOR:
Since the road map of AMD high performance processors is quite vague, we use Intel processors at the moment.

MOTHERBOARD:
We recommend the use of motherboards with 2 cpu sockets, i.e. 2 x 8 core.

CPUS:
We recommend the use of cpus with maximum 8 cores and high frequency, e.g. 3 GHz.

Of course, you can use motherboards with 4 or more sockets and cpus with more than 8 cores. However, the problem is the memory bandwidth, that does not scale either with number of cores nor sockets. Thus, be careful before spending a lot of money to end up with a inefficient system.

Board footer