User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-27 20:49:30

sajjad
User

Output of Basement

Hello,

the computational effort for a simulation is calc. as : no. of main loop execution* no. of wet cells. As far as i know, the no. of  main loop executions is not an output. I have tried to find it in a round about way by making write time step in balance output file by giving an output_step of 1. Then from the output balance file, I calc avg time step for each second and convert it into no. of  loop executions by : time interval/avg time step over that interval. The problem is that I get a floating pt number which makes no sense because loop executions are always a whole number. If i round off, well ok, but the point is not approximation, which one can always resort to. Does that make a convincing case for including comput. effort in the list of output? Well, maybe some suggestion to help me along?

A second pt. regarding the detailed output, (source friction, source bed , balance discharge fluxes, balance momentum fluxes). What is of importance is to indicate these terms explicitly in documentation so that the viewer relates theses variables to Saint Venant equations and understands their physical role. I relate source friction to friction slope and source bed to bed slope and if these terms are equal then I infer that flow is approximating to uniform flow regime, but I fail to attach an intuitive understanding with balance discharge fluxes and balance momentum fluxes. I think the documentation should reflect the range of functionalities available in Basement.

Regards

Board footer