User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-01 12:00:15

sajjad
User

River Network modeling in Basechain

Hello Dear colleagues

I want to model an urban flooding in a street network as a set of interconnected 1D channels; the approach I use is to treat different streets as channels connected at nodes , but, the problem is how to model 4 streets meeting at a node? We can model river confluence and bifurcation (3 channels at a node) but the 4th street poses a problem ? how to model a trifurcation in basechain ? Regards

#2 2014-12-03 18:52:21

Christian Volz
User

Re: River Network modeling in Basechain

Dear Sajjad,

you are right. Up-to-now  BASEMENT does not provide couplings for junctions with more than 3 subdomains. You will need a workaround to simulate such a scenario. For example, you may use multiple junctions for such a case. You have to add additional (short) subdomains and connect them by junctions or bifurcations to be able to increase the number of subdomains taking part.

However, this may be a cumbersome and time-consuming procedure if you have many of such junctions in your model. We have noted this problem and are thinking about an solution. Perhaps it is possible to generalize the junction/bifurcation to an arbitrary number of subdomains...

Thanks for your input and best regards,
Christian

#3 2015-03-12 10:43:46

sotiris
User

Hello everyone,
I am trying to simulate the routing of a flood wave in a river due to dam break. However, since I have a river with curves my cross sections flood away from the main channel, leaving my river dry from the flood wave. Is there any tutorial about such a case, or has anyone deal with sth similar?
Thanks in advance,
Sotiris

#4 2015-06-15 10:47:45

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Hi Sotiris,

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly: what do you mean by 'my cross sections flood away from the main channel, leaving my river dry from the flood wave'?

Moreover, to understand your problem it is useful for us to see at least your logfile (which is automatically generated when you start a simulation), better if you can also add a pic of your mesh.

Thank you very much!

Matteo

Board footer