I have recently left academia to join the Data Science and Analytics team of Fortum as an optimization scientist.
Previously, I have completed my Ph.D. under the supervision of Prof. Florian Dörfler and Prof. Gabriela Hug. I hold a B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering from EPFL and my M.Sc. in Robotics, Systems & Control from ETH Zurich.
In my PhD research, I studied optimization algorithms as feedback controllers. Besides algorithm design, I focused on providing theoretical guarantees on the robustness and performance of these schemes. As a particular application, I considered the autonomous operation of future electricity grids with significant renewable energy infeed.
News & Updates
- Dec 2020: Best Student Paper Award at CDC 2020 for our paper that connects gradient flows, anti-windup control, and a lot of fun math!
- Dec 2020: My former student Verena Häberle has won this year's SGA Award for her M.Sc. thesis. Proud to have been her co-supervisor!
- Dec 2020: My Ph.D. thesis is now publicly available.
- Aug 2020: I have successfully defended my Ph.D. thesis! Thanks to Prof. Steven Low (Caltech) and Prof. Andrew Teel (UC Santa Barbara) for serving as external co-examiners.
Completed Master Theses and Semester Projects
Final reports and presentation are available upon request.
- Verena Häberle, "Non-convex Feedback Optimization with Input and Output Constraints for Power System Applications," March 2020
- Ashwin Venkatraman, "Real-Time Control of Power Systems for Voltage Collapse Mitigation," November 2018
- Sandeep Menta, "Stability of Dynamic Feedback Optimization with Applications to Power Systems," September 2018
- Lioba Heimach, Julian Huwyler, and Dario Küffer, "A Browser-based Visualization Tool for Power Systems," June 2018
- Felix Böwing, "Optimal Nonlinear Frequency Control in Power Systems," January 2018
- Irina Subotic, "On the Existence of Solutions to Time-varying Projected Dynamical Systems," November 2017
- Zhoudan Pan, "Fully Decentralized Collision Avoidance with ADMM," October 2017
- Jozséf Pázmány, "Robust Optimization of Nonlinear Power Systems in Realtime," May 2017
- Moritz Staub and Miriam Vonesch, "The Grid Game - A Power Systems Education Tool," February 2017
- Alexandros Ketsetzis, "Optimal PMU placement for State Estimation in Power Grids," November 2016
- Alessandro Zanardi, "Constrained optimization over manifolds for power system application," October 2016
- Tianshu Pan, "Exploring Model Predictive Control Applications for the Gridbox Pilot," June 2016
- Matthias Fetzner, "Network Reduction for Optimal Power Flow Problems," January 2016