User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-13 17:07:29

sajjad
User

Removing bed load block leads to decreased sediment outflow

I am modeling a hydraulic flushing case in a physical model. The sediment transport is dominated by suspended sediment transport (99% suspended, 1% bed load). Realizing minimal role of the bed load, i removed the bed load block and only included suspended load block. I thought this would have no influence on calculation, but, no, the removal of bed load block led to drastic reduction in sediment outflow volume. It seems that the sediment picked up from the bed reduced sharply if u eliminate the bed load block. I think this is non physical behaviour.

After going through the doc, i failed to find how does the model calculates the bed load layer thickness or is it controlled by factor_depth_reference_height?

Regards

#2 2018-11-06 12:44:53

Matteo Facchini
Developer

Re: Removing bed load block leads to decreased sediment outflow

Hi sajjad,

the active layer thickness is regulated by control_volume_thickness in the MORPHOLOGY block. You can set it constant, or make it adapt to the grain size distribution at each step by setting control_volume_type=d90 and regulating it with the control_volume_factor.

Bests
Matteo

Board footer