User Forum of Software BASEMENT

BASEMENT
Basic Simulation Environment for computation of environmental flow and natural hazard simulation
Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW)
ETH Zurich
Basement_Logo

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-12 10:24:59

Mattia.G
User

Sediment transport using a gate

Dear all,

I have a problem with the sediment transport through a gate in 2D simulation. How can I define with Basement the sediment transport through a gate changing the height of the gate? I am working with Basement 2.7. I have tried the IoDown and the dredge boundaries but are not working because these conditions remove all sediment. I have to define how much sediment pass through the gate varying the opening of the gate.

Best regards

Mattia

#2 2017-05-12 11:22:25

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

Re: Sediment transport using a gate

Hi Mattia,

if I understand your problem correctly, you want to know how much sediment is transported through the gate. Be aware that the gate is an Inner Boundary condition and it's not possible to simulate the transport process through this hydraulic stucture with BASEplane. The concept of the dredge source and sink is designed to simply bypass the inner bounday and derefore guaranty sediment continuity. In case you know how much sediment is transported depending on the gate height, you can also define the dredge sink/source as time series.

Cheers

#3 2017-05-12 18:10:20

Mattia.G
User

Thanks for the informations. I try to explain better the problem:

I have a weir and my problem is that there are too many sediments which settle upstream. Beside the weir there is a gate which has the task to allow the passage of the sediments in order to clean the upstream zone of the weir. My problem with Basement is that I cannot simulate/put in correlation the passage of the sediments with the height of the gate. Is there any trick I can use to do that?

Best regards,

Mattia

#4 2017-05-15 10:31:48

Mattia.G
User

It can be possible resolve the problem with a third-party software coupled with BaseExtern?

Cheers,

Mattia

Last edited by Mattia.G (2017-05-15 10:34:08)

#5 2017-05-17 09:00:04

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

I guess you have defined a time series of your gate level. In this case you could also define a time series for the dredge source, txt file including time (s) vs. sediment removed (m3/s) and thereby link both processes via time.

#6 2017-07-03 16:02:59

Mattia.G
User

Hello again,

Sorry for my late answering. How can I define a time series for the dredge source?
I have tried to define it as 'file' at the block EXTERNAL_SOURCE but it says:

Warning for tag 'file': The value for tag 'file' will not be used as tag 'type' != 'sediment_discharge'

How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

Mattia

#7 2017-07-04 09:16:46

Stephan Kammerer
Developer

You need an EXTERNAL_SOURCE of 'type' = 'dredge'

#8 2017-07-04 09:42:13

Mattia.G
User

Ok but if I define the type dredge, I can't define a file with time coupled with the amount of dredging. I can only define a single tag 'dredge_rate_max'.
Infact the description of the tag 'file' says:

"this is the name of the file with the source values listed over time. The file needs two colums, time and corresponding sediment inflow [m3/s]. (ATTENTION: the inflow is expected to be specified without porosity!)"

The condition of this tag is: used if 'type'='sediment_discharge'

I have tried to use the tag 'file' to define the dredge rate linked via time but the dredge has worked independently from the values defined in the file...

Board footer